For its beautiful beaches, bohemian atmosphere, and vibrant nightlife, Playa del Carmen is always in fashion. Suffice it to say, this 2019 is ranked #17 of the world's preferred destinations for both domestic and foreign tourists, according to TripAdvisor’s Travellers Choice Awards.
It should be noted, however, that "Playa" (as it is affectionately known) doesn't only rely on its fame since its cultural, gastronomic, and entertainment offer is constantly renewed. That's why it is considered the trendiest destination in Riviera Maya… no contest!
If you are planning to visit this Caribbean hotspot soon, and you want to make sure you capture Instagram-worthy moments, here we compile 5 activities that you cannot miss, based on recommendations from websites like Viva Playa and Quinta Magazine.
1. #vegan delight
If you’re looking for new flavors, Playa has a good variety of vegan and vegetarian restaurants that will change your perception of this type of cuisine. Three of the best options are:
- Chlorophyll Green & Vegan. With a 100% vegan menu, this place offers you a variety of breakfasts and snacks, along with energy drinks made with coconut milk and "superfoods" such as maca, lucuma, spirulina, chia, and goji. Opens Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Pitted Date Vegan Restaurant Bakery & Café. The "mushroom bomblette", the breakfast panini, and the "bagelwich" are three delicacies you definitely should try. Although its portions are small, its flavor is second to none. Open every day from 8 to 8.
- Bio-Natural. Their vegan tacos and original-recipe quinoa bowl are just an example of a menu full of creativity and natural, organic, and gluten-free ingredients. Opens every day from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
2. Connect with #nature
In addition to nurturing your body in an enviromentally conscious way, maybe you also would like to establish a new kind of connection with the Caribbean sea and its creatures. Well, guess what? You can fulfill this via the Delphinus Nature Connection swim with dolphins program.
Located only 45 minutes away from Playa, this interaction for up to 4 guests consists of 3 main activities:
- 15 minutes of snorkeling
- 15 minutes ride in a see-through kayak
- 15 minutes of free swim
There is no particular order for the activities, so just let the dolphins get close to you moved by their natural curiosity and pet them while they pass you by. You can also see them move underwater, jump and spin above water, and even play “splash wars”.
3. Soul & #relaxation
If your mood is more like "charging batteries" and just rest, there are many Wellness concepts within Boutique Hotels in Playa which will help you fix your body and soul.
- Cenote Spa. Inspired by the Mayan cenotes, this holistic concept offers you an irresistible selection of revitalizing massages. You can find it at the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort and it opens from 8 to 8.
- Blue Spa & Yoga. Immerse yourself in a hydrotherapy circuit for a magical body and soul experience. Available at the Magic Blue Spa Boutique Hotel.
- Soul Spa. A system of hydrojets will help you stimulate all your energy points from head to toe, all the while you enjoy a Zen atmosphere in special colored lighting. It is located in the Hotel Soul Beach and opens every day from 10 a.m.
4. #performance and cocktails
In addition to the traditional nightclubs and bars, today's nightlife at Playa is filled with multimedia shows and performances. And the options are... spectacular!
- Coco Bongo. The most impressive club in Playa del Carmen guarantees that you and your friends spend a night full of incredible performances, good music, and cutting-edge visuals. Enjoy its unique atmosphere, acrobatic shows, singer impersonators, and great service, every night from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Le Lotus Rouge. This is a disruptive concept in the Playa night scene due to its mix of culinary and scenic arts from all around the world. Stand-up comedy, flamenco, and aerial pole dance are some of the performances that you can enjoy here. Opens from Tuesday to Saturday.
- Cirque du Soleil JOYÀ. It's the most magical, theatrical and culinary experience you can get in Riviera Maya. This is the first permanent show in Mexico of the world-famous circus and acrobatics troupe.
5. #party on the roof
Although each and all of the beaches of Playa are—and will always be—beautiful, sometimes it’s well worth having some more privacy while you sunbathe, and even better if it is sprinkled with a touch of V.I.P. service and a cool atmosphere. If this is your vibe, Playa's rooftop pools and beach clubs are what you're looking for. Here’s 3 options:
- Coralina Daylight Club. Private, exclusive and adults only, this beach club offers its visitors a place of total fun, relaxation, and luxury. Live DJs, champagne shows, and premium cabins are some of its features. You can find it next to the Grand Hyatt Hotel and it opens from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Be Beach. Located on 10th Avenue and 26th Street, this rooftop is famous for the design of its pool areas, its relaxed atmosphere, and fabulous service. Also, sometimes it hosts live music performances.
- Deck 5 Pool and Skybar. In addition to a lovely view, this skybar has the perfect mix of music, food, and vibe to spend an amazing afternoon. On top of that, you can enjoy a cocktail selection created by expert mixologists. Available at The Carmen Hotel.
We hope you enjoy your stay in Playa to the fullest, and that you share your experiences with all your followers so even more people come to visit this magnificent jewel of the Mexican Caribbean.